LENT is a time to prepare our hearts for Easter. We have been allowing the Elijah story to lead us toward the cross, the grave, and the resurrection of Easter. What questions does Elijah’s story give to us:
- Are you facing a dry time?
- Are you facing a challenging time?
- Do you trust God’s promises?
- Do you trust God?
How do we trust God’s promises? One great way is prayer. Today, we are going to look at what Elijah’s demonstrates to us in prayer.
And Elijah said to Ahab, “Go eat and drink, for there is the sound of a heavy rain.” So Ahab went off to eat and drink, but Elijah climbed to the top of Carmel, bent down to the ground and put his face between his knees. “Go and look toward the sea,” he told his servant. and he went up and looked. “There is nothing there,” he said. Seven times Elijah said, “Go back.” The seventh time the servant reported, “A cloud as small as a man’s hand is rising from the sea.” So Elijah said, “Go and tell Ahab, “Hitch up your chariot and go down before the rain stops you.” Meanwhile, the sky grew black with clouds, the wind rose, a heavy rain came on and Ahab rode off to Jezreel. The power of the Lord came upon Elijah, and tucking his cloak into his belt, he ran ahead of Ahab all the way to Jezreel.” 1Kings 18:41-46
Elijah demonstrates trust in prayer
1. Elijah separated himself from distractions of doubt
- Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Mark 1:35
- In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Psalm 5:3
2. Elijah humbled himself under the glory of God
3. Elijah was persistent in the face of unanswered promises
4. Elijah believed in God’s promises when reality didn’t
1,000 years later James (Jesus brother) said,
The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops. My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover a multitude of sins.” James 5:16-20
Is anything blocking the glory of God in your life?
Are you waiting for rain?
Are you praying?
Do you believe?