READ 1Kings 21:1-29
- King Ahab continues to serve himself
- Jezebel takes over with a godless plan
- No one addresses sin (person to family to society to nation)
- God sends Elijah to confronts, convict, and rebuke King Ahab
- King Ahab sold himself
- Did Ahab repent?
- Did God finally get his attention?
1. There is an end to God’s patience and no one knows it. (Elijah by Charles Swindoll)
“When the sentence for a crime is not quickly carried out the hearts of the people are filled with schemes to do wrong.” Ecclesiastes 8:11
“A man who remains stiff necked after many rebukes will suddenly be destroyed without remedy.” Proverbs 29:1
- His patience can frustrate us (dealing with others)
- His patience gives us more time (repent & reach others)
“But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: with the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” 2Peter 3:8-9
2. God keeps his Word and no one stops it. (Elijah by Charles Swindoll)
“Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people, and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.” Hebrews 9:27-28
Will you receive Jesus?
“I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.” John 5:24
“Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.” John 3:36
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1
Because of Jesus…
- Righteousness from Injustice
- Beauty from Devastation
- Peace from Conflict
- Unity from Division
- Forgiveness from Sin
- Worship from Idolatry
God loved Elijah!
God loved Israel!
And God loved King Ahab.
Elijah walked with God through it all (Worship)
King Ahab resisted God’s ways each time (Idolatry)
What will you do with God’s pursuit of you?
Will you repent?
Will you be Elijah or King Ahab?