You are gifted!
You are valuable!
Do you believe it?
Today, we begin our new teaching series, Some Assembly Required. God is building something special. You are a part of what He is building.
Jesus said, “And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades (Hell) will not overcome it!” Matthew 16:18
God is building His church. What about you? God has gifted every believer spiritual gifts. In Jesus, we are gifted. However, it is difficult to talk about spiritual gifts in most churches. Why?
- Abuse of these gifts
But these two reasons should not be enough to keep us from something so valuable as spiritual gifts.
“Now about spritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were led astray to mute idols. There I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord” except by the Holy Spirit. There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith, but the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each onem just as he determines.” 1Corinthians 12:1-11
Five Questions about spiritual gifts:
What are spiritual gifts? Any ability that is empowered by the Holy Spirit and used in the ministry of the church.
- Cessationist = Supernatural gifts (tongues, miracles, prophecy) functioned only in the early church and are not practiced today.
- Continuationists = Supernatural gifts are given to every generation and should be practiced today but always tested according to the guidelines of Scripture. (Check out 1Corinthians 13:8-12)
- Charismatic = Supernatural gifts are given to every generation. Contemporary revelations are valued, but secondary to scripture. Supernatural manifestations are sought, but must show the fruit of the Spirit.
- Charismaniac = Supernatural gifts are given to every generation. Contemporary revelations are valued equal or greater to scripture. Believe only Christians who talk in tongues have the Holy Spirit. (Check out 1Corinthians 12:29-30)
Taken from Doctrines by Garry Brashears and Mark Driscoll
Who gives spiritual gifts? TRINITY
- Same Spirit
- Same Lord
- Same God
What are “some” of the spiritual gifts?
- Miraculous powers
- Intepretation of tongues
There are six lists in the New Testament pointing to “some” of the spiritual gifts: 1Corinthians 12:8-10; 1Corinthians 12:28; Ephesians 4:11; Romans 12:6-8; 1Corinthians 7:7; 1Peter 4:11.
These gifts fall into three categories: Teaching, Serving, Miraculous
So how do we identify our gifts:
1. Discover your gifts (go to www.mtararat.org and take the survey)
2. Understand the needs (check out our Ministry Needs hand out)
3. Join a team
Is Jesus your Lord? Spiritual gifts come after salvation.
If you are a Christian, let me say it again, You are gifted!!!